You're not the devil. You're practice.
- Solitary.
- Why?
- For protection.
- I don't need protection.
- Protection for them.
Someone like you is only here by choice.
what was I looking for?
Only you can know that.
To manipulate the fears in others, you must first master your own.
Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up.
You know why they attacked you, don't you? They were afraid of you.
Afraid of me?
All creatures feel fear.
Even the scary ones?
Especially the scary ones.
My anger outweighs my guilt.
Crime cannot be tolerated. Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding.
The training is nothing! Will is everything! The will to act.
I know the rage that drives you. That impossible anger strangling the grief until the memory of your loved one is just poison in your veins. And one day, you catch yourself wishing the person you loved had never existed so you'd be spared your pain.
I wouldn't presume to tell you what to do with your past, sir. Just know that there are those of us who care about what you do with your future.
Haven't given up on me yet?
Never.
You're not talking about justice. You're talking about revenge.
Sometimes, they're the same.
No, they're never the same. Justice is about harmony. Revenge is about you making yourself feel better.
you think you got nothing to lose. But you haven't thought it through.
don't come here with your anger, trying to prove something to yourself. This is a world you'll never understand. And you always fear what you don't understand.
what you really fear is inside yourself.
Now you must journey inwards. Breathe in your fears. Face them. To conquer fear, you must become fear. You must bask in the fear of other men. And men fear most what they cannot see. You have to become a terrible thought. A wraith. You have to become an idea! Feel terror cloud your senses. Feel its power to distort. To control. And know that this power can be yours. Embrace your worst fear. Become one with the darkness.
Your compassion is a weakness your enemies will not share.
That's why it's so important. It separates us from them.
You want to fight criminals. This man is a murderer.
This man should be tried.
By whom? Corrupt bureaucrats? Criminals mock society's laws. You know this better than most.
People need dramatic examples to shake them out of apathy.
Ignorance is bliss, my friend. Don't burden yourself with the secrets of scary people.
Can't change the world on your own.
But it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.
I don't have the luxury of friends.
helping others wasn't about proving anything to anyone, including himself.
You have a name to maintain.
I don't care about my name.
It's not just your name, sir. It's your father's name. And it's all that's left of him. Don't destroy it.
I'll be standing where I belong.
The Wayne legacy is more than bricks and mortar.
It's not who I am underneath but what I do that defines me.
----------------------------------------------------------------
The Dark Knight (2008)
It makes me learn from my mistakes.
You ought to be pretty knowledgeable by now, then.
You're not getting shot at, you're not doing your job right.
You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
If you're good at something, never do it for free.
Criminals aren't complicated. We just need to figure out what he's after.
some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just wanna watch the world burn.
Endure. Take it.
the night is darkest just before the dawn. And I promise you, the dawn is coming.
Things are always going to get worse before they got better.
Hm? You know... You know what I noticed? Nobody panics when things go "according to plan." Even if the plan is horrifying.
The world is cruel. And the only morality in a cruel world is chance. Unbiased. Unprejudiced. Fair.
I'm whatever Gotham needs me to be.
Because sometimes the truth isn't good enough. Sometimes people deserve more. Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded.
----------------------------------------------------------------
The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
Why waste your time talking to the man who threw away your investment on some save-the-world vanity project? He can't help you get your money back. But I can.
I could try explaining that a save-the-world project, vain or not, is worth investing in, whatever the return. I could try, Mr. Daggett, but you understand only money and the power you think it buys, so why waste my time, indeed?
But he's a hero.
A war hero. This is peacetime.
Fascinating. You two should exchange notes over coffee.
You're trying to set me up with a jewel thief?
At this point, l'd set you up with a chimpanzee, if it brought you back to the world.
There's nothing out there for me.
And that's the problem. You hung up your cape and your cowl but you didn't move on. You never went to find a life. To find someone.
Alfred... l did find someone.
l know, and you lost them. But that's all part of living, sir. But you're not living, you're just waiting, hoping for things to go bad again. Remember when you left Gotham? Before all this, before Batman? You were gone seven years. Seven years l waited, hoping that you wouldn't come back. Every year, l took a holiday. l went to Florence. There's this café on the banks of the Arno. Every fine evening l'd sit there and order a Fernet Branca. l had this fantasy that l would look across the tables and l'd see you there, with a wife. Maybe a couple of kids. You wouldn't say anything to me, nor me to you. But we'd both know that you'd made it. That you were happy. l never wanted you to come back to Gotham. l always knew there was nothing here for you, except pain and tragedy. And l wanted something more for you than that. l still do.
Not a lot of people know what it feels like, do they? To be angry in your bones. l mean, they understand. Foster parents. Everybody understands... for a while. And then they want the angry little kid to do something he knows he can't do. Move on. So after a while, they stop understanding. They send the angry kid to a boys' home. l figured it out too late. You gotta learn to hide the anger. Practice smiling in a mirror. lt's like putting on a mask.
l'm still a believer in the Batman even if you're not.
lt's not about charity. lt's about feeding the ego of whichever society hag laid this on.
You have a practiced apathy, Mr. Wayne. But a man who doesn't care about the world doesn't spend half his fortune to save it. And isn't so wounded when it fails that he goes into hiding.
Once you've done what you had to, they never let you do what you want to.
There's no fresh start in today's world. Any 12-year-old with a cell phone could find out what you did. Everything we do is collated and quantified. Everything sticks.
l take what l need from those who have more than enough. l don't stand on the shoulders of people with less.
Want doesn't get.
One man's tool is another man's weapon.
Here to end the borrowed time you've all been living on.
There are always people you care about. You just don't realize how much until they're gone.
There is a reason why this prison is the worst hell on earth: Hope. Every man who has rotted here over the centuries has looked up to the light and imagined climbing to freedom. So easy. So simple. And like shipwrecked men turning to seawater from uncontrollable thirst. Many have died trying. l learned here there can be no true despair without hope.
Oh, there are many forms of immortality.
Why build yourself?
l'm not meant to die in here.
Here, there. What's the difference?
Survival is the spirit. The soul.
My soul is as ready to escape as my body.
How can you move faster than possible, fight longer than possible, without the most powerful impulse of the spirit? The fear of death.
l do fear death. l fear dying in here while my city burns. There's no one there to save it.
Then make the climb.
[Chuckles] How?
As the child did... without the rope. Then fear will find you again.
lf you're working alone, wear a mask.
l'm not afraid to be seen standing up to them.
The mask is not for you. lt's to protect the people you care about.
You see, it's the slow knife. The knife that takes its time. The knife that waits years without forgetting then slips quietly between the bones. That's the knife that cuts deepest.
A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Joker (2019)
Look, I like you, Arthur. You know, a lot of the guys, they think you're a freak, but I like you. I don't even know why I like you.
The boss blaming: The guy said you disappeared. Never even returned his sign.
Joker: Because I got jumped. Didn't you hear?
The boss: For a sign? That's bullshit. It doesn't even make sense. Just get him his sign back. He's going out of business, for God's sake, Arthur.
Joker: Why would I keep his sign?
The boss: How the fuck do I know? Why does anybody do anything? If you don't return the sign, I gotta take it out of your paycheck. Are we clear? Listen, I'm trying to help you.
The worst part about having a mental illness is people expect you to behave as if you don't.
And until those kind of people change for the better, those of us who have made something of our lives will always look at those who haven't as nothing but clowns.
You don't listen, do you? I don't think you ever really hear me. You just ask the same questions every week. "How's your job? Are you having any negative thoughts?" All I have are negative thoughts, but you don't listen anyway.
They don't give a shit about people like you, Arthur. And they really don't give a shit about people like me, either.
it's so hard to just try and be happy all the time.
I used to think that my life was a tragedy, but now I realize it's a fucking comedy.
[On a mirror] Put on a happy face. (This is what his mother always tells him.)
I don't believe in any of that. I don't believe in anything.
I got nothing left to lose. Nothing can hurt me anymore. This is my fate, it was always my fate. My life is nothing but a comedy.
Comedy is subjective. Isn't that what they say? All of you, the system that knows so much, you decide what's right or wrong. The same way that you decide what's funny or not!
why is everybody so upset about these guys? If it was me dying on the sidewalk you'd walk right over me! I pass you everyday and you don't notice me! But these guys? Well because Thomas Wayne would cry about them on TV?
Nobody thinks what it's like to be the other guy. You think men like Thomas Wayne ever think what it's like to be someone like me? To be somebody but themselves? They don't. They think that we'll just sit there and take it, like good little boys! That we won't werewolf and go wild!
----------------------------------------------------------------
The Good Place (2016-2020)
‘You know, sometimes a flaw can make something even more beautiful. Like with Cindy Crawford and how short she is.’ – Tahani Al-Jamil, ‘The Good Place’ 1×02
‘It turns out the best Janet was the Janet that was inside Janet all along.’ – Janet, ‘The Good Place’ 1×03
“I wasn’t a failed DJ. I was pre-successful.” — Jason Mendoza, The Good Place, Season 1, What’s My Motivation?
“If you try and ignore your sadness, it just ends up leaking out of you anyway. I’ve been there. And everybody’s been there. So don’t fight it.” — Eleanor Shellstrop, The Good Place, Season 2, Existential Crisis
“I had a friend that said whenever she was doing something bad, she’d hear this little voice in her head… Distant little voice, saying, ‘Oh, come on now. You know this is wrong.’ And then when she started doing good things, that voice went away. It was a relief.” — Michael, The Good Place, Season 2, Somewhere Else
“My whole life, whenever I encountered any obstacles, I would simply say, ‘I would like to speak to a manager.’ But in our relationship, there was no manager. There was no one who could fix this for me except me.” — Tahani Al-Jamil, The Good Place, Season 2, Best Self
‘Lies are always more convincing when they’re closer to the truth.’ – Michael, ‘The Good Place’ 2×03
‘Searching for meaning is philosophical suicide. How does anyone do anything when you understand the fleeting nature of existence?’ – Michael, ‘The Good Place’ 2×04
‘I would say I outdid myself, but I’m always this good. So I simply did myself.’ – Tahani Al-Jamil, ‘The Good Place’ 2×05
‘I can’t believe Michael betrayed us again, why is it always the ones you most expect?’ – Jason, ‘The Good Place’ 2×08
‘Now we’re going to do the most human thing of all: attempt something futile with a ton of unearned confidence and fail spectacularly!’ – Michael, ‘The Good Place’ 2×10
‘Principles aren’t principles when you pick and choose when you’re gonna follow them.’ – Chidi Anagonye, ‘The Good Place’ 2×11
”Fair’ is the stupidest word humans ever invented, except for staycation.’ – Shawn, ‘The Good Place’ 2×11
‘If this isn’t a test, then it’s something way worse: A choice! That we have to make!’ – Chidi Anagonye, ‘The Good Place’ 2×12
‘I argue that we choose to be good because of our bonds with other people and our innate desire to treat them with dignity. Simply put, we are not in this alone.’ – Chidi Anagonye, ‘The Good Place’ 2×13
“I know it sounds crazy. But if it weren’t crazy, they wouldn’t call it a leap of faith. They would call it a sit of doubting.” — Eleanor Shellstrop, The Good Place, Season 2, Leap to Faith
“Remember the thought experiment where you’re driving a trolley and you can either plough into a group of people or turn and hit one person? I solved it. See, the trolley problem forces you to choose between two versions of letting other people die. The actual solution is very simple: sacrifice yourself.” — Michael, The Good Place, Season 2, Rhonda, Diana, Jake and Trent
‘Sometimes, when you’re feeling helpless, the secret is to help someone else. Get out of your own head. Trust me. The next time someone asks for help, say yes.’ – Michael, ‘The Good Place’ 3×01
Eleanor: Yeah! In America, everyone does whatever they want society did break down, it's terrible, and it's great! You only look out for number one, scream at whoever disagrees with you, there are no bees because they all died, and if you need surgery, you just beg for money on the internet. It's a perfect system!
- S3E4
‘Our fates are sealed. But I think we have one move left: We can try.’ – Eleanor Shellstrop, ‘The Good Place’ 3×04
Michael: Why can't you accept that she might be living a good, honest life? That she's an attractive partner and a good mom?
Eleanor Shellstrop: Because I wanted that mom. I wanted the mom who made me afternoon snacks instead of just telling me to look for loose fries in the McDonald's ball pit. Why does Patricia get that mom? If Donna Shellstrop has truly changed, then that means she was always capable of change, but I just wasn't worth changing for.
- S3E6
‘I tried to script your whole afterlife. And I devised a million-point plan to torture you. You made choices I never saw coming. I call that free will.’ – Michael, ‘The Good Place’ 3×07
‘We have no plan. No one’s coming to save us. So… I’m going to do it.’ – Michael, ‘The Good Place’ 3×09
‘I guess ‘try and enjoy this’ is a better plan than ‘have the anxiety sweats.’’ – Eleanor Shellstrop, ‘The Good Place’ 3×10
“If you love someone, set them free. My good friend and yoga pupil, Sting, no last initial, told me that.” — Tahani Al-Jamil, The Good Place, Season 3, The Ballad of Donkey Doug
“Come on, you know how this works. You fail and then you try something else. And you fail again and again, and you fail a thousand times, and you keep trying because maybe the 1,001st idea might work. Now, I’m gonna try to find our 1,001st idea.” – Michael, The Good Place 4×02
You know how this works. You fail and then you try something else. And you fail again, and again, and you fail a thousand times, and you keep trying because maybe the 1001st idea might work.
– Michael, The Good Place 4×03
You are the only one that can do this, whatever this is.
– Michael, The Good Place 4×03
“The problem is, if all you care about in the world is the velvet rope, you will always be unhappy, no matter which side you’re on.” – Tahani Al-Jamil, The Good Place 4×03
Yes, that also was a lie, but it was an inspirational one. Like, "So great running into you. We should get coffee sometime," or all of Instagram.
- Michael S4E4
Eleanor, if I take off this suit, I will crash through the roof and the entire Neighborhood will see me and the experiment will be blown. But it's more than that. You guys will never look at me the same way again. I won't just be Michael. I'll be some disgusting mass of burning tentacles. Do you really want to be friends with something like that?
- Michael S4E4
“Don’t worry, demons can’t die. He’ll slowly re-form himself over a few months, passing through all the stages of demon growth. Larvae, slug monster, spooky little girl, teenaged boy, giant ball of tongues, social media CEO, and then finally demon.” – Michael, The Good Place 4×04
I just feel like I made the world a little bit worse, and I won't be okay until I make it better again.
- Chidi 4×05
Oh Perhaps I can convince Simone to handle this the British way. Smile bravely, bury your feelings, and allow a steady drizzle to slowly wash away your sadness over 50 years.
4×06
“What matters isn’t if people are good or bad. What matters is, if they’re trying to be better today than they were yesterday. You asked me where my hope comes from? That’s my answer.” – Michael, The Good Place 4×06
“We do nothing. We hope that our early successes make up for the embarrassing mess we’ve become. Like Facebook. Or America.” – Eleanor Shellstrop, The Good Place 4×07
“In football, trying to run out the clock and hoping for the best never works. It’s called “prevent defense.” You don’t take any chances and just try and hold on to your lead. But prevent defense just PREVENTS you from winning! It’s always better to try something.” – Jason Mendoza, The Good Place 4×07
“The point is, people improve when they get external love and support. How can we hold it against them when they don’t?” – Michael, The Good Place 4×08
But more importantly, I proved once and for all that you can always find the answer.
The answer to what?
To anything. Every problem has an answer. If you just read enough books and think hard enough, you can figure out the answer to any question.
I know you're really smart, but that sounds wrong.
- The Good Place 4×09
Some things in life don't have an answer.
- The Good Place 4×09
If soulmates do exist, they’re not found. They’re made. People meet, they get a good feeling, and then they get to work building a relationship, like your parents. They didn't magically stay together because you proved they should.
It wasn't my logic or my representation. It was the feeling they got watching me this scared little kid telling them that he needed them.
It was also what you made them remember. You know, they loved each other. Sometimes people forget. You reminded them of what they already had. It convinced them to go to counseling.
I never knew they went to counseling.
Yeah, kids are idiots. If they knew half the stuff their folks were up to, they'd lose their minds.
Turns out life isn't a puzzle that can just be solved one time and it's done. You wake up every day and you solve it again.
Terribly inefficient.
- The Good Place 4×09
“The journey is the destination, right?” – Chidi Anagonye, The Good Place 4×09
With all due respect, "it's the way it's always been done" is an excuse that's been used for hundreds of years to justify racism, misogyny...
Exactly. See? This chick gets it.
“You said that every human is a little bit sad all the time, because you know you’re going to die. But that knowledge is what gives life meaning.” – Michael, The Good Place 4×12
if you read my file and you're good, then we're good
vacations are only special because they end.
knowing that you don't have to be here forever will help you feel happier while you are.
“This is what we’ve been looking for since the day we met. Time. That’s what the Good Place really is — it’s not even a place, really. It’s just having enough time with the people you love.” – Chidi Anagonye, The Good Place 4×12
They think they can just start acting. They have to learn that acting is reacting, and reacting is pre-acting, but pre-acting, well, that's just being.
- The Good Place 4×13
To me, remembering moments with you is the same as living in them.
Can you just remember the happy times and forget the bad stuff?
There was no bad stuff. It was all good.
“Picture a wave in the ocean. You can see it, measure it, its height, the way the sunlight refracts when it passes through, and it’s there, and you can see it, you know what it is. It’s a wave. And then it crashes on the shore, and it’s gone. But the water is still there. The wave was just a different way for the water to be for a little while.” – Chidi Anagonye, The Good Place 4×13
You will never be at peace until you get the one thing you truly want.
“That’s what makes it special. I won’t exactly know what’s going to happen after I die. Nothing more human than that. Besides texting people that you’re five minutes away when you haven’t even left the house.” – Michael, The Good Place 4×13
“If you rent a car, don’t pay for the insurance. It’s a scam.” – Janet, The Good Place 4×13
“I assume he’s doing the same as every human. Some good days. Some bad days. He’s got a few friends, a few people he can’t stand. He’s learning some things, all by himself, and hopefully learning to ask for help when he needs it. He’s messing up, and trying again, and messing up again, and then getting things wrong, and then trying to make them right. That’s what everyone does.” – Eleanor Shellstrop, The Good Place 4×13
----------------------------------------------------------------
Annie Hall (1977) Woody Allen
[first lines]
Alvy Singer: [addressing the camera] There's an old joke - um... two elderly women are at a Catskill mountain resort, and one of 'em says, "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." The other one says, "Yeah, I know; and such small portions." Well, that's essentially how I feel about life - full of loneliness, and misery, and suffering, and unhappiness, and it's all over much too quickly. The... the other important joke, for me, is one that's usually attributed to Groucho Marx; but, I think it appears originally in Freud's "Wit and Its Relation to the Unconscious," and it goes like this - I'm paraphrasing - um, "I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member." That's the key joke of my adult life, in terms of my relationships with women.
You know, we had a saying, uh, that those who can't do, teach; and those who can't teach, teach gym. And, uh, those who couldn't do anything, I think, were assigned to our school.
You always only saw the worst in people. You never could get along with anyone in school. You were always out of step with the world. Even when you got famous, you still distrusted the world.
Jesus, what'd you do, come by way of the Panama Canal?
(ironically) that was wonderful. I love being reduced to a cultural stereotype.
You know, it's one thing about intellectuals, they prove that you can be absolutely brilliant and have no idea what's going on.
Why do you always reduce my animal urges to psychoanalytic categories?
Everything our parents said was good is bad. Sun, milk, red meat... college.
The country makes me nervous. You got crickets and it's quiet. There's no place to walk after dinner, and there's the screens with the dead moths behind them, and you got the Manson family possibly, you got Dick and Terry.
I've a very pessimistic view of life. You should know this about me if we're gonna go out, you know. I feel that life is divided into the horrible and the miserable. That's the two categories. The horrible are like, I don't know, terminal cases, you know, and blind people, crippled. I don't know how they get through life. It's amazing to me. And the miserable is everyone else. So you should be thankful that you're miserable, because that's very lucky, to be miserable.
Love is too weak a word for what I feel - I luuurve you, you know, I loave you, I luff you, two F's, yes.
- That jerk that teaches that incredible crap course "Contemporary Crisis in Western Man"!
- "Existential Motifs in Russian Literature"! You're really close.
- What's the difference? It's all mental masturbation.
Never something you do. That's how people are. Love fades.
Alvy: You look like a really happy couple. Uh, uh... are you?
Young woman: Yeah.
Alvy: Yeah! So... so how do you account for it?
Young woman: Uh, I'm very shallow and empty and I have no ideas and nothing interesting to say.
Young man: And I'm exactly the same way.
Alvy: I see. Well, that's very interesting. So you've managed to work out something, huh?
Young man: Right.
Young woman: Yeah.
You know, I don't think I could take a mellow evening because I - I don't respond well to mellow. You know what I mean? I have a tendency to - if I get too mellow, I - I ripen and then rot, you know.
[Alvy and Annie are seeing their therapists at the same time on a split screen]
Alvy Singer's Therapist: How often do you sleep together?
Annie Hall's Therapist: Do you have sex often?
Alvy Singer: [lamenting] Hardly ever. Maybe three times a week.
Annie Hall: [annoyed] Constantly. I'd say three times a week.
[In California]
Annie Hall: It's so clean out here.
Alvy Singer: That's because they don't throw their garbage away, they turn it into television shows.
A relationship, I think, is like a shark. It has to constantly move forward or it dies. And I think what we got on our hands is a dead shark.
Annie Hall: Alvy, you're incapable of enjoying life, you know that? I mean you're like New York City. You're just this person. You're like this island unto yourself.
Alvy Singer: I can't enjoy anything unless everybody is. If one guy is starving someplace, that puts a crimp in my evening.
You know how you're always trying to get things to come out perfect in art because it's real difficult in life.
[last lines]
Alvy Singer: After that it got pretty late, and, we both had to go, but it was great seeing Annie again. I realized what a terrific person she was and how much fun it was just knowing her, and I thought of that old joke. You know, this guy goes to his psychiatrist and says, "Doc, my brother's crazy. He thinks he's a chicken." And the doctor says, "Well why don't you turn him in?" The guy says, "I would, but I need the eggs." Well, I guess that's pretty much now how I feel about relationships– you know, they're totally irrational and crazy and absurd, but, I guess we keep going through it because most of us need the eggs.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Interiors (1978) Woody Allen
A preoccupation with my own mortality. These feelings of futility in relation to my work. Just what am I striving to create, anyway? To what end? For what purpose, what goal? I mean, do I really care if some of my poems are read after I'm gone forever?
I feel the need to express something, but I don't know what it is I want to express. Or how to express it.
Flyn suffers from the same thing my last book suffered from. She's a perfect example of form without any content.
I'm not going to accept anything until I'm sure I can maintain the level that I expect of myself.
- I read something of yours in a magazine. New Yorker, I think. Poem called "Wondering". It was very beautiful.
- It's an old poem. I redid it. And now when I reread it, I find it much too ambiguous. Nah. I may redo it again.
I need isolation. I need to be alone. The creative thing, it's very delicate.
She has all the anguish and anxiety of the artistic personality without any of the talent.
Why do you stay with me? I don't understand. I give you nothing but grief.
You only live once, but once is enough if you play it right.
all of her Jesus Christ nonsense is actually somewhat of a help.
You flirt. You like to be looked at. Otherwise you don't exist, except in somebody else's eyes.
It's ironic, because I've cared for you so, and you have nothing but disdain for me, and yet I feel guilty. I think you're really too perfect to live in this world. I mean, all the beautifully furnished rooms, carefully designed interiors, everything's so controlled. There wasn't any room for any real feelings. None, between any of us. Except Renata, who never gave you the time of day. You worship Renata. You worship talent. Well, what happens to those of us who can't create? What do we do? What do I do when I'm overwhelmed with feelings about life? How do I get them out? I feel such rage toward you! Oh mother, don't you see, you're not just a sick woman. That would be too easy. The truth is, there's been perverseness, and willfulness of attitude in many of the things you've done. At the center of a sick psyche there is a sick spirit. But, I love you. And we have no other choice, but to forgive each other.
I felt compelled to write these thoughts down. They seemed very powerful to me.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Money Heist (Netflix)
The Professor:
The plan is designed to survive any setbacks, including my death.
Time is greater than money.
Because the harder it is to follow something and the more it takes to reach it, the more you believe that what you’re going after is real.
In this world, everything is governed by balance. There’s what you stand to gain and what you stand to lose. And when you think you’ve got nothing to lose, you become overconfident.
No one can reject their nature.
Sometimes, a truce is the most important part of a war.
Either we both win or we both lose.
You’re the sexiest woman in the world but I love you for your brains.
When someone is in love, they look through rose-tinted glasses. Everything’s wonderful. They transform into a soft teddy bear that’s smiling all the time.
Maybe we’re all immature to some extent.
You can’t get out of the Bank of Spain alive. It’s impossible. But I will get you out of there.
The Professor: I'm offering you your freedom.
Tokyo: I'm already free. I can leave through that door right now and disappear.
The Professor: So go then. You're not going to leave, because you have nothing or no one waiting for you out there. You don't do it, because your life ended in your last robbery. I'm offering you resurrection. A second life. Although, if you want, you can continue to obsess over the memories of the first one.
Tokyo: What do you think you know about my life? Or about what I've done to get freedom?
The Professor: I'll learn the only thing I need to know about you right now: Whether you're brave enough to be born again. To live again. To find another love. A family. It's a "yes" or a "no," and today's the day. So, don't you think he would want you to be happy again?
The Professor: I love you a lot, Tokyo. A lot.
I love you too. A lot. You know why?
Because of my style and the way I dance? Hm?
Because you always make it to the end. That's why you're here with me at eight in the morning. Am I wrong? Am I? No, it's true. It's true. I realized that you're a hero. The rest of us can mess around and get wasted... because you're on the other side, holding the rope. We know nothing can go wrong when you're here. You'll pull an ace from your sleeve. You're the master of illusion. That's why we go back into the lion's den. Even if they point a thousand guns at us. Because we all believe in you. Like a mantra. You're our faith. The faith that, if all else fails, we still have you. No matter how bad things get... even if they have us on our knees, even if it looks like there's no hope, like we're almost dead... we keep on believing. Because we know we'll always have the Professor.
Tokyo:
You feel devastated. You see the disappointed faces of the people you've failed. It's as if a javelin was hurled through your chest. And at that point, when you can barely breathe from all the anxiety, you have two options, accept defeat or fight. The Professor chose to fight. Even though he knew that everything was lost, and that in all probability, he was only prolonging his suffering, he still chose to fight.
Back when I was convinced I could outrun the pain, and the police. Run, close your eyes, and endure. But eventually, there comes a moment when you stop. And all that pain washes over you. And you feel like there's nothing you can do to make it disappear.
I was just another name in that endless list of casualties where gold is the only survivor. Because while everything else decays, gold remains flawless.
A lot of people believe we only find one true love in our lives. But what they don't realize is you can have several lives.
[When Tokyo is dying]
Rio. Don't be so sad. Something ends today. But now is the first day of your next life. You've gotta live a lot of lives, my love. So many.
In the end, love is a good reason for everything to fall apart.
Hope is kind of like dominos. Once one falls - the rest follow.
In love, there’s always a ticking clock. There’s always a countdown. Loving someone is not enough, you have to make it in time.
When you hit rock bottom, you still have a way to go until the abyss.
Happiness is like lightning, blink and you miss it. After that came the fall. When you reach heaven, the fall is devastating.
We can only see the consequences when they are right in front of our noses.
Berlin:
In your failure is how a man is defined.
Betrayal doesn’t depend on how much or how deeply you love someone. It depends on the magnitude of the dilemma put in front of you.
My love, the things that actually matter in life always come unexpectedly.
First times are so special. But the last times are beyond comparison. Priceless. But people don’t usually know it.
What I don’t want is for you to die before you’ve even lived.
Believe me, I’ve had five divorces. Do you know what five divorces are? Five times I believed in love.
Sometimes distance is the only way to find peace. So you can heal your wound.
I’ve spent my life being a bit of a son of a bitch, but today I think I want to die with dignity.
No matter how tough things get, children always turn out okay.
Do you know that in horror movies there is always a brave guy who always thinks: “I will not last long”?
Love can't be timed, it has to be lived.
Because some day, something will go wrong. It could cost you your life or something worse. And on that day, what you can’t be thinking is that you are to be blamed for something you couldn’t control. That’s life. Enjoy it, until the party’s over.
Nairobi:
You know those people who say, I have tons of friends? So? You don't need to have them, you need to feel them.
You don’t love anyone? Of course you don’t, darling. You don’t have the balls for it. To love, you need courage.
Palermo:
Pain is a loan shark. It leaves you with a debt that you can never pay back.
There are no right sides in the hell, Commander.
Lisbon:
You don’t do it for your father or for your brother. You do it for you. That’s just what you tell yourself. It’s easier to say than to take off your mask. Because I know you love masks. You’re always… playing the role of the nerd, with your glasses, origami… And in reality… In reality, you… walked into the bank with the confidence of someone that’s about to arm-wrestle the government. You are the magic trick, Sergio. Dressed like Clark Kent. But it’s about time you take it off and accept who you really are.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Dead Poets Society (1989) Tom Schulman
We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for. To quote from Whitman, "O me! O life!... of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless... of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life?" Answer. That you are here - that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. That the powerful play *goes on* and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?
Only in their dreams can men be truly free. 'Twas always thus, and always thus will be.
We didn’t just read poetry. We let it drip from our tongues like honey. Spirits soared. Women swooned, and gods were created, gentlemen. Not a bad way to spend an evening, eh?
I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life. To put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived.
So avoid using the word ‘very’ because it’s lazy. A man is not very tired, he is exhausted. Don’t use very sad, use morose. Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women - and, in that endeavor, laziness will not do. It also won’t do in your essays.
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way. Even though it may seem silly or wrong, you must try! Now, when you read, don’t just consider what the author thinks. Consider what you think. Boys, you must strive to find your own voice. Because the longer you wait to begin, the less likely you are to find it at all. Thoreau said, “Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.” Don’t be resigned to that. Break out! Dare to strike out and find new ground.
We're not laughing at you. We're laughing near you.
we all have a great need for acceptance. But you must trust that your beliefs are unique, your own, even though others may think them odd or unpopular, even though the herd may go, "That's baaaaad." Robert Frost said, "Two roads diverged in a wood and I, I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.
There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.
Neil Perry: How can you stand it?
John Keating: Stand what?
Neil Perry: You can go anywhere. You can do anything. How can you stand being here?
John Keating: 'Cause I love teaching. I don't wanna be anywhere else.
Neil Perry: I just talked to my father. He's making me quit the play at Henley Hall. Acting's everything to me. I- But he doesn't know! He- I can see his point; we're not a rich family, like Charlie's. We- But he's planning the rest of my life for me, and I- He's never asked me what I want!
John Keating: Have you ever told your father what you just told me? About your passion for acting? You ever showed him that?
Neil Perry: I can't.
John Keating: Why not?
Neil Perry: I can't talk to him this way.
John Keating: Then you're acting for him, too. You're playing the part of the dutiful son. Now, I know this sounds impossible, but you have to talk to him. You have to show him who you are, what your heart is.
Neil Perry: I know what he'll say. He'll tell me that acting's a whim and I should forget it. They're counting on me; he'll just tell me to put it out of my mind for my own good.
John Keating: You are not an indentured servant. It's not a whim for you, you prove it to him by your conviction and your passion. You show that to him, and if he still doesn't believe you - well, by then, you'll be out of school and can do anything you want.
Neil Perry: No. What about the play? The show's tomorrow night!
John Keating: Then you have to talk to him before tomorrow night.
Neil Perry: Isn't there an easier way?
John Keating: No.
Neil Perry: I'm trapped!
John Keating: No, you're not.
Neil Perry's epilogue in his first performance and to his father.
If we shadows have offended,
Think but this, and all is mended,
That you have but slumber’d here
While these visions did appear.
And this weak and idle theme,
No more yielding but a dream,
Gentles, do not reprehend:
if you pardon, we will mend:
And, as I am an honest Puck,
If we have unearned luck
Now to ‘scape the serpent’s tongue,
We will make amends ere long;
Else the Puck a liar call;
So, good night unto you all.
Give me your hands, if we be friends,
And Robin shall restore amends.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Good Will Hunting (1997) Matt Damon
You don't know about real loss, 'cause it only occurs when you've loved something more than you love yourself. And I doubt you've ever dared to love anybody that much.
Sean: So, call her up, Romeo.
Will: Why? So I can realize she's not that smart, that she's fuckin' boring? Y'know? I mean...this girl is like fuckin' perfect right now, I don't wanna ruin that.
Sean: Maybe you're perfect right now. Maybe you don't wanna ruin that. I think that's a super philosophy, Will, that way you can go through your entire life without ever having to really know anybody...My wife used to fart when she was nervous. She had all sorts of wonderful idiosyncrasies. You know what? She used to fart in her sleep. [they laugh] Sorry I shared that with you. One night it was so loud it woke the dog up. She woke up and gone like "oh was that you?" I'd say yeah...I didn't have the heart to tell her...[cracks up] Oh God...
Will: [laughing hysterically] She woke herself up?
Sean: [in hysterics himself] Yes!.... Oh Christ....aahhh, but, Will, she's been dead two years and that's the shit I remember. [Will stops laughing] Wonderful stuff, you know, little things like that. Ah, but, those are the things I miss the most. The little idiosyncrasies that only I knew about. That's what made her my wife. Oh, and she had the goods on me, too; she knew all my little peccadillos. People call these things imperfections, but they're not — aw that's the good stuff. And then we get to choose who we let into our weird little worlds. You're not perfect, sport. And let me save you the suspense. This girl you met, she isn't perfect either. But the question is: whether or not you're perfect for each other. That's the whole deal. That's what intimacy is all about. Now you can know everything in the world, sport, but the only way you're findin' out that one is by givin' it a shot.
That's why I'm not talkin' right now about some girl I saw at a bar twenty years ago and how I always regretted not going over and talking to her. I don't regret the 18 years I was married to Nancy. I don't regret the six years I had to give up counseling when she got sick. And I don't regret the last years when she got really sick. And I sure as hell don't regret missin' some damn game. That's regret.
Lambo: We gotta give this kid direction. He can contribute to the world, and we can help him do that.
Sean: Direction’s one thing. Manipulation’s another.
Lambo: Sean!
Sean: We have to let him find—
Lambo: Sean, I’m not sitting at home every night twisting my mustache and hatching a plan to ruin this boy’s life! I was doing advanced mathematics when I was 18, and it still took me over 20 years to do something worthy of a Field’s medal.
Sean: Maybe he doesn’t want what you want. There’s more to life than a fuckin’ Field’s medal.
Lambo: This is too important, Sean, and it’s above personal rivalry.
Sean: Wait a minute. Let’s talk about the boy. Why don’t we give him time to figure out what he wants?
Lambo: That’s a wonderful theory, Sean. It worked wonders for you, didn’t it?
Sean: Yeah, it did, you arrogant fuckin’ prick!
Lambo: Oh, I’m sorry. I’m sorry that I came here today. I came here out of courtesy. I wanted to keep you in the loop.
Sean: Nice to be in the loop.
Sean: You feel like you’re alone?
Will: What?
Sean: Do you have a soul mate?
Will: Do I have a— Define that.
Sean: Somebody who challenges you.
Will: Uh, Chuckie.
Sean: No, Chuckie’s family. He’d lie down in fuckin’ traffic for you. I’m talking about someone who opens up things for you, touches your soul.
Will: I got— I got—
Sean: Who?
Will: I got plenty.
Sean: Well, name ’em.
Will: Shakespeare, Nietzsche, Frost, O’Connor, Kant, Pope, Locke—
Sean: That’s great. They’re all dead.
Will: Not to me. They’re not.
Sean: You don’t have a lot of dialogue with them. You can’t give back to them, Will.
Will: Not without some serious smelling salts and a heater.
Sean: That’s what I’m saying. You’ll never have that kind of relationship in a world… where you’re always afraid to take the first step, because all you see is every negative thing 10 miles down the road.
Will: You gonna take the professor’s side on this?
Sean: Don’t give me a line of shit. No.
Will: I didn’t want the job.
Sean: It’s not about the job. I don’t care if you work for the government. But you can do anything you want. You are bound by nothing. What are you passionate about? What do you want? There are guys who work their entire life layin’ brick… so their kids have a chance at the opportunities you have here.
Will: I didn’t ask for this.
Sean: No. You were born with it, so don’t cop out behind: “I didn’t ask for this.”
Will: What do you mean, cop out? What’s wrong with layin’ brick?
Sean: Nothing.
Will: There’s nothin’ wrong. That’s somebody’s home I’m buildin’.
Sean: Right. My dad laid brick, okay? Busted his ass so I could have an education.
Will: Exactly. That’s an honorable profession. What’s wrong with fixin’ somebody’s car? Someone will get to work the next day because of me. That’s honor in that.
Sean: Yeah, there is, Will. There is honor in that. There’s honor in takin’ that 40-minute train ride… so those college kids could come in in the morning and their floors are clean. And their wastebaskets are empty. That’s real work.
Will: That’s right.
Sean: And that’s honorable. I’m sure that’s why you took that job. I mean, for the honor of it. I just have a little question here. You could be a janitor anywhere. Why did you work at the most prestigious technical college in the whole fuckin’ world? Why did you sneak around at night and finish other people’s formulas… that only one or two people in the world could do and then lie about it? ’Cause I don’t see a lot of honor in that, Will. So what do you really wanna do?
Will: I wanna be a shepherd.
Sean: Really?
Will: I wanna move up to Nashua, get a nice little spread, get some sheep and tend to them.
Sean: Maybe you should go do that.
Will: What?
Sean: You know, if you’re gonna jerk off, why don’t you just do it at home with a moist towel?
Will: You’re chuckin’ me?
Sean: Yeah, get the fuck outta here.
Will: No, no, no, time’s not up yet.
Sean: Yeah, it is.
Will: I’m not leavin’. No.
Sean: You’re not gonna answer, you’re wastin’ my time.
Will: I thought we were friends.
Sean: Playtime’s over, okay?
Will: Why are you kickin’ me out? You’re lecturin’ me on life? Look at you, you fuckin’ burnout. What winds your clock?
Sean: Workin’ with you.
Will: Where’s your soul mate? You wanna talk about soul mates? Where is she?
Sean: Dead.
Will: That’s right. She’s fuckin’ dead. She fuckin’ dies and you just cash in your chips and you walk away?
Sean: At least I played a hand.
Will: You played a hand and you lost. You lost a big fuckin’ hand. Some people will lose a big hand like that and have the sack to ante up again.
Sean: Look at me. What do you wanna do? You and your bullshit. You got a bullshit answer for everybody. But I ask you a very simple question, and you can’t give me a straight answer, because you don’t know. I’ll see ya, Bo-peep.
Will: Fuck you.
Sean: You’re the shepherd. Shepherd. White little prick.
Chuckie: Look, you’re my best friend, so don’t take this the wrong way. But in 20 years if you’re still livin’ here, comin’ over to my house to watch the Patriots games, still workin’ construction, I’II fuckin’ kill ya. That’s not a threat. That’s a fact. I’II fuckin’ kill ya.
Will: What the fuck are you talkin’ about?
Chuckie: Look, you got something none of us have.
Will: Oh, come on! Why is it always this? I fuckin’ owe it to myself to do this or that. What if I don’t want to?
Chuckie: No, no, no. Fuck you. You don’t owe it to yourself. You owe it to me, ’cause tomorrow I’m gonna wake up and I’ll be 50, and I’ll still be doin’ this shit.
Will: That’s all right. That’s fine.
Chuckie: I mean, you’re sitin’ on a winnin’ lottery ticket. You’re too much of a pussy to cash it in, and that’s bullshit. ’Cause I’d do fuckin’ anything to have what you got. So would any of these fuckin’ guys. It’d be an insult to us if you’re still here in 20 years. Hangin’ around here is a fuckin’ waste of your time.
Will: You don’t know that.
Chuckie: I don’t?
Will: No. You don’t know that.
Chuckie: Oh, I don’t know that. Let me tell you what I do know. Every day I come by your house, and I pick you up. We go out and have a few drinks and few laughs, and it’s great. You know what the best part of my day is? It’s for about 10 seconds: from when I pull up to the curb and when I get to your door. ’Cause I think maybe I’ll get up there and I’ll knock on the door, and you won’t be there. No “good-bye,” no “see ya later.” No nothing. You just left. I don’t know much, but I know that.
----------------------------------------------------------------
The Lincoln Lawyer s02e06 - Withdrawal
Maggie: Wonderful. Yeah, I know. Um... ( sighs ) That's why I have to leave.
Mickey: No, you... You're not making any sense, okay?
Maggie: No, actually, I'm making more sense than I have in a long time. I love you, Mickey.
Mickey: Then what's...
Maggie: I always have. I always will. But it doesn't work. I can't move on with you. I can't move on without you, so I need to just... I need to just move on.
Mickey: Is this about yesterday?
Maggie: I don't want you to be someone you're not. Okay? And some of the things you do with your life, I'm not okay with. But if I stay, we are just gonna keep winding up in each other's arms.
Mickey: Yeah, but isn't that good?
Maggie: Yeah, it's lovely. Until it's not. Again and again. It's not healthy for either of us. God knows it's not good for Hayley. So, the only thing I know to do to short-circuit this thing is to remove myself from it.


沒有留言:
張貼留言
歡迎留言;
私密意見可以電郵給我。